Spiral up (or down?)
Another gray hat. I know... But I had this really big skein and it is actually a nice shade of gray. I think the men in my family will be happy to wear these hats. But I have to admit that I'm glad I'm almost done with it.
Almost two years ago, I was toying with the idea to start writing patterns for the hats I made. I actually published a few, but they never really took off. Also, pattern writing is a lot of work, especially if you want to sell them. I usually don't bother with gauge and things like that, but I'd need to. So I decided to let go of that plan though I sometimes still think that it would be so great to make (some) money with knitting.
A few days ago I did realize I could just add some notes to my posts about the things I knit. Not really patterns, but just "what I did" in pattern language. So that's what you got yesterday.
But then I moved on to writing today's post and I realized that I have been very bad at taking notes these days and I don't really remember the specifics of this one. It shouldn't be too hard to explain in words what I did though, so let me try.
What I did:
I could write an intricate pattern for that spiraling ribbing, but the trick is to cast on one stitch less than you'd need for the ribbing you're using. I did a K1, P1 ribbing, so I cast on an odd number (don't remember how many - 79 probably, since that's about the number of stitches that makes an adult-sized hat with this yarn) and just kept doing K1, P1.
When I thought the ribbing was high enough I increased the stitches (K3, K1f&b) and kept knitting till I had a nice slouchy hat. The top was finished by alternating k2tog and K rows until I had approximately 10 stitches left. Pulled the thread through the remaining stitches and wove in ends.